The beautiful architecture of Liverpool has a story to tell; it represents over 300 years of a port of worldwide importance, whose fortunes declined in the twentieth century but is now experiencing a renaissance as a cultural capital, hosting world-class events, breaking records and collecting numerous accolades.

The city is home to a number beautiful and historic buildings, It actually houses around 2,500 listed buildings and at least 27 of these are Grade 1.

Bluecoat

Is thought to be Liverpool’s oldest building in the city centre, dating back to the early 1700s. Visitors can now enjoy a year-round programme of visual art, literature, music and dance here.

Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Liverpool’s architecture can be seen from another level from the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral tower, the largest cathedral in Britain, taking 74 years to construct from 1904. Look down from this intricate beauty and admire the elegant Georgian townhouses that are always in high demand for filming.

Three Graces

A short walk from The Albert Dock is where you’ll find the Three Graces; The Royal Liver Building, The Cunard Building and the Port of Liverpool Building. The Royal Liver Building sports the famous Liver Birds, the mythical creatures which symbolise Liverpool. For nearly a century these buildings have defined one of the world’s most recognised skylines, which can be admired from aboard the historic Mersey ferry.

Royal Albert Dock

The Victorian Royal Albert Dock located on Liverpool’s waterfront is the largest single collection of Grade I listed buildings in the UK made entirely out of cast iron, brick and stone. The Albert Dock does not only offer a beautiful backdrop to a quayside stroll, but a wide variety  of restaurants, galleries, museums and more to enjoy, including key attractions such as Tate Liverpool, The Beatles Story, Maritime Museum, and the International Slavery Museum.

Speke Hall

Outside the city centre, Speke Hall dates from the Tudor period, recognisable from its black and white timber appearance. Croxteth Hall also has ties to this era, with one of its wings dating back to 1575 (though the majority of the building was completed in the 18th and 19th centuries).